Saturday, December 31, 2011

St. Louis Art Museum

In commemoration of a spectacular year, I eagerly packed my bags for a couple mini-vacations during the month of December. Here are a couple of activities you should include on your 2012 list of resolutions: attend a Trans-Siberian Orchestra Concert, ice skate at Crown Center in KC, spend time in the St. Louis Art Museum, and find your inner child by visiting a Zoo! I really appreciate the time I've spent with family and friends and I look forward to another exciting year together.

I would like to share three of my favorite pieces from the St. Louis Art Museum. As you can imagine, my iPhone camera is unable to capture the detail of these incredible works of art. So, go see them yourselves!

Giovanni Paolo Panini painted the "Interior of St. Peter's, Rome" in 1731.  I'm convinced that, even as you read this, the building continues to inspire visitors today as it did previously with this artist. 

My favorite piece in the museum was painted by Marc Chagall in 1912.  Chris Ahrens and I stared intently at this work for multiple minutes until the figures suddenly became apparent. If you look closely, you will observe Chagall's interpretation of Adam and Eve standing on either side of the Tree of Life. Chagall's cubist technique fascinates me, especially as he shows Eve's bifurcated focus on both the forbidden fruit and consequence of her action.
Corrado Giaquinto's "St. Helena and the Emperor Constantine Presented to the Holy Trinity by the Virgin Mary" pictorially illuminates the belief system of 18th century Catholics. Although I disagree with the strict separation of believers from Christ, the degree of awe and respect attributed to Christ is sobering. I think Giaquinto and Catholic theology can easily remind evangelicals about the holiness of God that often falls neglected.

I would love to hear thoughts on any of these breathtaking works of art. Also, I encourage you to resolve to add unexpected and thrilling experiences to your growing list. You won't regret it. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment